• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jewelers lost my bridal set ring and husband's wedding ring

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

consumer101

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Jewelers lost my bridal set ring and my husband's wedding ring through transit. I brought our rings to a jeweler where we purchased our rings for cleaning/polishing. The jewelers manager told us that our ring had been robbed through ups truck. We wanted to get our ring back or at least get the same style from the store with the same diamond carat and gold karat. But the jewelers can only give us a ring with the same price value that shows in our receipt because they said that they stop creating the same model of our ring. We purchased our ring 6yrs ago and the current price of our rings is now high. We can't even find a ring that matches the price and carat/karat of our original ring. We trusted the jeweler that they will take care of our ring and not to get them lost. I understand that the robbing incident wasn't their fault but our rings were under their care, and I think they should be responsible for the lost of our rings. The manager was telling us to upgrade our rings but we don't want to pay anything extra. He also suggest to get a ring that matches the total price in our receipt, but I didn't bring my ring to downgrade or upgrade my ring. I just want our rings back. Our rings may not be too expensive but the value of our rings are very sentimental. What is my legal right? Can I get the ring with the same carat/karat? or maybe cash them out with the current value of our ring and just purchased to a different store, since the ring is our personal property?

FlyingRon

Alas you can ask for whatever you like, but you're only entitled to the actual value of the lost property. You might get someone (if you have enough information to do so) to appraise what they are actually worth, though unless there was some outstanding workmanship here, it's not going to be much more than a comparable ring set that has the same weights/stones in it.

Of course, you can see if you can find someone who can custom replicate what you had, and try to get money for that, but their not really obliged to do so. You at least then can see if it is worth it to you to kick in the difference.

I'mTheFather

Alas you can ask for whatever you like, but you're only entitled to the actual value of the lost property. You might get someone (if you have enough information to do so) to appraise what they are actually worth, though unless there was some outstanding workmanship here, it's not going to be much more than a comparable ring set that has the same weights/stones in it.

Of course, you can see if you can find someone who can custom replicate what you had, and try to get money for that, but their not really obliged to do so. You at least then can see if it is worth it to you to kick in the difference.
If the chart in the following link is correct, then the value of OP's ring did increase in the last 6 years. Depending on the size, the value may be 20% higher than it was 6 years ago. Should OP be compensated for the increased value?

http://www.pricescope.com/diamond-prices/diamond-prices-chart

BL

UPS Lost Claims

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/service/claims/hlp/lost_process.html

FlyingRon

If the chart in the following link is correct, then the value of OP's ring did increase in the last 6 years. Depending on the size, the value may be 20% higher than it was 6 years ago. Should OP be compensated for the increased value?

http://www.pricescope.com/diamond-prices/diamond-prices-chart
I never said SQUAT about the purchase price.

I said comparing the ring to something comparable TODAY.

Yes, it is today's value, not what they paid for it years ago.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">