• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Job Hararssment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Alabama_Mom

What is the name of your state? Alabama

August 15, 2001

An Assistant Manager, at the store I work for, called the Up Front Manager, with me following after her, to the manager’s office to have a talk with us. She told me at that time that the Manager, said that we could be dismissed from our jobs at any time as far as he was concerned. She went on to say that she had video proof that I was the worse goof-off employed at the store. She said that we could have lunch together, if we were scheduled to have lunch at the same time. This talk was prompted by another employee that went to the Assistant Manager and said that we were not doing our jobs. At the time we were doing exactly what our jobs called for us to do: the Up Front Manager over checkouts, service desk, and layaway, was working on a weekly schedule for Personnel. I was covering lunch for the checkout supervisor, going to the back office for a change order. We were summoned to the manager’s office on the statements made by this third party, without being asked what the circumstances were.

August 20, 2001

The Personnel Director for the store I work for came into the store on her day off and talked with the Up Front Manager. The PD made comments to the Up Front Manager that she needed to stay away from me because management was watching me and it would get her into trouble too. The HR went on to “hint” that telephone conversations inside the store were being monitored, that the right people knowing how could listen in on conversations and with a press of a button could tell which two phones inside the store were connected.

Comments:
I know for a fact that at least 3 people at a time go outside the store to a smoking area, meaning that they are congregating outside in groups and in essence goofing-off.
I know that on evening shifts there is no monitoring going on about who is doing what, with who, or where in the store.
I know that on at least one night, 2 of the employees were talking on walkie-talkies in two different areas of the store, and no one did anything about it, including the assistant manager on duty.
I know that Department Heads, and other employees, go to lunch at the same time, when they want to go, regardless of schedules, leaving their areas unattended.
I have witnessed entire department employees go on break at the same time, leaving the floor unattended in that area and that they have taken up to 45 minutes on these breaks.
I have worked at this job for almost 5 years. I am a single parent with bills to pay.
The Manager has never said anything to me personally that he has considered firing me. He does act like he doesn’t like me, but has made no comments to that effect.

Questions:
1. Can telephone conversations be monitored by anyone without your knowledge and consent, whether they are from within the store or from outside parties?
2. Could the threats by the Assistant Manager and Personnel Director, without comment from the Manager, be considered harassment?
3. If I quit my job because of pressure from these people, will I qualify for unemployment compensation?

Beth3

1. Yes. If you're using the employer's phone system, they can listen in if they want. Taping a phone conversation is a whole different legal can of worms.

2. There's no such thing as "job harassment." Prohibited harassment on the job is that which is due to an employee's age, race, religion, gender, national origin, handicap, etc. The boss accusing you of being a goof-off and scruitinizing your performance, even if you don't agree, is not harassment.

3. If you quit your job for the reasons explained in your post, it is extremely unlikely you would qualify for UC benefits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">