• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Job Harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

Oldmagick

What is the name of your state? Iowa

My daughter has been worked in an office for 4 years and been denied promotions for "not having the right attitude" she is very dedicated hard working, does more then requiered and does her job very well, but since she is not the Cheerleader type or Party girl is always overlooked for promotions. A co-worker does not like her at all and she goes to the manager daily and reports my daughter as being in a bad mood(just because she is quiet) it makes my daughters job very hard on daily basis, changing jobs is out of the question she has no support from her Manager since she(the manager) is very involved with the more outgoing people in her apartment. The office is part of a very large corporation. They do have a HR department but if she was to go see them she would be in even greater difficulties. Any Ideas? Anybody?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Nothing you have described is in any way a violation of any law.

There is nothing in the law requiring that any employee to receive a promotion at any given time, or at all. The employer is permitted to make them on any basis he sees fit (with the exception of legally protected groups). Nor is it a violation of any law for the co-worker who doesn't like her to "report" to the manager. The manager is just as capable of judging your daughter's mood as the co-worker, and I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that this has anything to do with the failure to promote. If this is, indeed, happening on a daily basis, the manager is probably pretty sick of hearing from the co-worker.

Bottom line is, since you have supplied nothing to indicate that the failure to promote your daughter is based on any illegal basis (race, gender, etc.) she has no legal basis for any complaint. If she does not want to talk to the HR department, I'm afraid she's on her own.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">