• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Job Offer - employment at will?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jorge

What is the name of your state?
TEXAS

I have a job offer but would be leaving a great job (the new offer is obviously better), how common is it for employers to change the contract to include a clause with some sort of term of employment? I want this job but am wondering if it is common for people to get some sort of "safety" in this regard. What do I need to consider here? I have already signed but have not yet begun employment nor left my old (current) position. On the contract, it states in bold that it is only an employment at will contract and can be terminated at any time with no reason by either party. Is this relatively normal/common or do I need to adress this with HR prior to starting and more significantly..resigning from the old job? Ths company is a small..200 person firm. By the way, sorry for posting the last thread twice.

ThanksWhat is the name of your state?

seniorjudge

jorge said:
What is the name of your state?
TEXAS

I have a job offer but would be leaving a great job (the new offer is obviously better), how common is it for employers to change the contract to include a clause with some sort of term of employment? I want this job but am wondering if it is common for people to get some sort of "safety" in this regard. What do I need to consider here? I have already signed but have not yet begun employment nor left my old (current) position. On the contract, it states in bold that it is only an employment at will contract and can be terminated at any time with no reason by either party. Is this relatively normal/common or do I need to adress this with HR prior to starting and more significantly..resigning from the old job? Ths company is a small..200 person firm. By the way, sorry for posting the last thread twice.

ThanksWhat is the name of your state?

On the contract, it states in bold that it is only an employment at will contract and can be terminated at any time with no reason by either party.

That pretty much answers all your questions.

jorge

well, i understand what the contract says but that was not my question. would you care to comment on my question?

Thanks.

mlane58

but am wondering if it is common for people to get some sort of "safety" in this regard. 49 out of 50 states are "at will" for employment. Unless you have a bona fide employment contract which you don't, you have an employment offer simply because you put in your post that it states you are an at will employee. The "safety" comes with you doing the best job you can for your employer and then thats not that safe. Botom line is your employer can fire you for what ever reason they choose to as long as it is not for your gender, age, race, religion, national origin, etc....

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
how common is it for employers to change the contract to include a clause with some sort of term of employment?

Not common at all. Outside of a union environment, I have seen such a clause exactly once in 25 years, and it was a disaster for both parties.

Dandy Don

If you get the chance to talk to people who already work there, please do so: that may give you an advantage in being able to find out about the corporate culture, etc. before you start working there.

alfie9999

Employment at Will

Is what it is...they can let you go for any reason!! If you want SECURITY you will need to negotiate a"severance package" or inquire if they have a "standard" one that covers all employees (usually 2 weeks pay). I negotiated a 45 days severance package and/or notice. They did not giove me the notice so they paid me for the 45 days. This is not uncommon. It all depends on how valuable you are to them!! It is your value that gives you the bargaining power.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">