• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

job offer, or not an offer - that's the question!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I was recently offered a new position as a consultant. Deciding to take the job, I signed the offer letter and sent it back (within the timeframe they requested). After confirming things with the HR person, he indicated that I would be starting the new job within 3-4 weeks (end of April). Without an exact start date, I did not give my 2-week notice at my current job, waiting to find out exact dates. Knowing that I would be leaving, I stopped taking on new projects and explained to my coworkers that I was offered another job. Our HR office got wind of this and asked me to give my resignation with an exact date of departure. I felt uncomfortable about this, not knowing an exact start date for the new job. Then, our HR manager said I could only stay until June 30, since I had accepted another offer.
At this point, the new job has been delayed and perhaps even postponed, so they refuse to start me until the project starts (if ever). Basically, after June 30, I am without a job and income, based on the offer (which should have started April 30!) I would have never given notice or informed anyone that I was leaving unless I had another offer, which I did. Do I have any recourse, or am I just out of luck? Two weeks til the Poorhouse and counting down!


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential