• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Job placement after oth discharge?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

teskeka

Being discharged from the navy for failing a drug test and im recieving a oth. i understand i wont be able to get a govt job but does that include local govt such as law enforcement, (pd, sheriff). If not will i be able to have some type of armed gaurd job? will i even be able to get a california gaurd card? i know nothing about what is going to happen. im only 21 yrs old and i made a stupid mistake. i dont wanna pay the rest of my life for something i did this young. any help would be much appreciated.
thanks!

ERAUPIKE

Being discharged from the navy for failing a drug test and im recieving a oth. i understand i wont be able to get a govt job but does that include local govt such as law enforcement, (pd, sheriff). If not will i be able to have some type of armed gaurd job? will i even be able to get a california gaurd card? i know nothing about what is going to happen. im only 21 yrs old and i made a stupid mistake. i dont wanna pay the rest of my life for something i did this young. any help would be much appreciated.
thanks!
Yes, you will be har pressed to find any law enforcement agency that will hire you. I would imagine that any position in the public trust will be that much harder for you to get.

You are 21 years old and you will be paying for this mistake for the rest of your life. You knew the consequences for your actions, now it's time to pay the piper.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I have read that an OTH does not show up on civilian background checks.

Other Than Honorable Discharge: Getting a job with an Other Than Honorable discharge
^ just one source

Don't believe the whole 'you're stuck for the rest of your life' thing, but also don't think about running for governor, despite Governor Palin's ability to do so...
The site you gave seems to NOT support your position:

A service member's type of discharge is usually carried with him or her for life. Employers will often look unfavorably on those who have received so much as a general discharge, especially if it was under other than honorable conditions. Some states, however, prohibit discrimination based on military discharge. Such laws do not prohibit denial of a job due to a criminal conviction, which accompanies punitive separations. You should really check with your own state to determine eligibility.

Keep in mind that companies that hold government contracts often require their employees to be eligibile for various degrees of security clearance. You may or may not be qualified to receive a clearance level due to an other than honorable discharge. Furthermore, with the tough competition for all government positions, you may find it very difficult to secure any government position with a dishonorable discharge. You might find it is easier to look for employment within the private sector, where you are not required to include your military service discharge information on your resume. Keep in mind that a federal application requires that you disclose your military background and discharge conditions and of course, it is an offense to lie on a federal employment application.

Less than honorable discharges can also be stigmatizing in civilian life, particularly leading to discrimination in employment. Government and large corporate employers routinely ask job applicants for their military discharge status; some even ask to see military discharge papers. However, there are also many employers who do not care about military discharge status. Even where employers ask for military service, sometimes it is mainly for statistical purposes of the number of veterans hired.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">