• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

job references from past employer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

willy

Does the law govern what a past employer is allowed to say on the phone to another employer that is calling for job references.
Let me explain. About 18 months ago I was fired from a job. I fought them for umemployment because they had no just cause to fire me. Every time I got close they would change their reasons for firing me. needless to say I lost out on the unemployment. But when I tried to find work whenever someone called they would give a different reason for firing me and it was keeping me from getting work. i thought the only information they were allowed to give was starting and ending dates.

A

Attorney_Replogle

Generally speaking Willy, that is true. However, each state is different. I don't know what your state is or what their particular law is. Each state is different, and this particular aspect is state regulated. It is not something that the U.S. Constitution has given authority to Congress to regulate. What you may or may not be experiencing is black balling or black listing. What your state's legal requirements are to prove this, and your potential rememdies are, I would have no way of knowing. So I would urge you to consult with a labor law attorney near you. You can find one at attorneypages.com.

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

C

Clyde Craig

I used a company called Documented Reference Checking (see http://www.badreferences.com )to find out what a prior employer was saying about me. If you are being illegally given a bad reference, this company will have it legally documented so you can sue them for millions. It cost me less than $100, and I was surprised at how detailed they were in documenting the reference check.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">