• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

joint credit card problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

chrissycat

new york-my sister and her ex-boyfriend had gotten a credit card together. after they broke up, she found out that he had racked up $10,000 worth of charges on it. it's effecting her credit negatively and she was told all she can do is pay the charges and sue him. the lawyer she spoke with said that one day her ex will want to buy a home, etc., and will need to have good credit, so he'll have to pay it. is there any other option? i know he will never pay. he and his family have been involved in various lawsuits and litigation and have always seemed to cheat the system even though they were always in the wrong. any advice would be appreciated. thanks.

kwalla

If the card is a joint account between your sister and her boyfriend, then she is responsible for that debt.

Her attorney was right, pay off the debt and then sue her ex-boyfriend. That is the only chance she has to save her credit rating.

If she decides to pay, make sure the account is CLOSED. She doesn't need him trying to make more charges while she is cleaning up this mess.

C

chrissycat

thanks. i just wanted to see if there were any alternatives, but if this is her only course of action, i guess she'll just have to pay. initially she had put a hold on the card, but he called and removed it, and she did eventually cancel it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">