• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Joint Custody, Child Support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

darlin_b2004

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

my husband and I are getting a divorce. We have sat down and worked out everything to try to make it easier for us and the children. We have both agreed to joint custody. I will have the children Sunday night through Friday afternoon and he will have them every weekend (which is flexible if the child wants to see the other parent). My question is simply this: He has a very well paying job and i am unemployed but looking for work. I have just optained a residence and trying to get on my feet. Is the father liable to pay any kind of support since we are doing joint custody, but the child will be with me the majority of the time. Thank you in advance for any help.

O

oneandonly

Good to see parents working things out...

and keep their focus on the children.
There are two types of custody-legal and physical. Joint legal, in theory, is when both parents make major decisions for the children. Joint physical, in most states, means that the children spend an equal amount of time with both parents--and that can be worked out different ways. From what you stated, if dad has only weekends (what about holidays, long weekends off from school, summer time?), that is not joint physical. You can also have joint physical with one parent being designated as primary.
I'm not familiar with TN laws, but if it is a shared income state, both parents incomes are figured in. I am also unfamiliar if TN takes into consideration parenting time percentage to calculate support amount.
Try going here-
www.deltabravo.net
(copy to browser without url's)
go to TGB's links and look up state specific info for TN and support.

Many on here use this site too-
www.childsupportguidelines.com

(think thats it) but I have found this site gives you a ball-park figure and might not be accurate.

good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">