• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

joint custody dis-aggreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I live in Texas. My ex and I have joint custody of our son. He lives with me. We are in dis-aggreement over the issue of where is to go to school. Is there any type of mediation service to help settle a dis-aggreement when joint custody is envolved. Or, do I have a little more rights to make a final decision since my son lives with me. I am currenty making plans to have the custody arrangements changed, but it will take more time than I have available to to settle this current situation.



If the child lives with you, he must attend school in the district in which you reside. To put him in school elsewhere would require you lying about his residence. Unless we are discussing public VS private school here, I don't see the problem. Can you clarify?


There has been discussion of changing his address legally so he could go to a different school (public). He spends pretty close to 50/50 time with each of us now. However, I feel that she has an alterior motive in mind. I have declared that he will need to spend more time at home with me when school starts so as to not disrupt his learning ability. We live in different cities and when he starts school I feel to much of his time will be spent bouncing back and forth and he will suffer from this. She will have farther to drive on days when she is to pick him up if he goes to school in my city. I have a real problem with making this change just to help her out a couple of times a week. Her current living arrangements leave little to be desired. She lives with her boyfriend and his roommate. Plus she has a very active night life. I'm affraid to give up any control I may have over the situation just to accommidate he her 3 times a week. And then wide up giving her an avenue to gain more custody/control later. My real question is in regards to what can be done to settle this dis-aggreement until I can take appropriate action legally. I intend to file for a change in custody that will declare me more control, but fear it cannot be done in time for school to start.


Senior Member
joint physical is really hard to do when both parents do not live within the same school district. for all of the reasons that you have mentioned.

a change of custody required a change of circumstances. if you can show that the there is a problem with the school and the current arrangements of 50/50, then you might possibly get a court to rule a joint legal and place one parent with physical custody.

i don't believe in joint physical at all. divorce is hard enough on a child, especially a young child, they don't need the added stress of bouncing from home to home and not having a stable enviornment. in joint physical a child really doesn't have a place they call home. home is 3 days with mom, three days with dad. it shouldn't be like that. i honestly believe that it would affect a child all around, including grades.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential