• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Joint Custody for Grandparents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? DE

Our Daughter (my step) passed six years ago leaving behind two children. Her mother scared took off with the children. She ran and ran changing names of the children and hers. We searched for three years then were unable to find anyone to help us. They have us on file in the courts for searching for missing grandchildren and said if anything show up with their SS#'s on them they will contact us.Two months ago, she called pleading with us to take these children in. Asking only to see them once a month or bi-monthly. She said her nerves couldn't take it anymore. She did this so often when our daughter was growing up. Taking off with her until she had no where else to go then she would plead for us to take her. Abuse both mental and physical were experienced. We went for custody (had joint-wanted full) but the state would help her out so that once again our daughter had to go back to her. We fear the same pattern. In the past two months she has seen them twice two days at a time. What a mess we've face seeing the turmoil these children are being put through. They battle with us not to go. We filed for guardianship two days after they came to our house. We go to court on April 8th. We since learn she was forced by the state (she claimed there was no one to give them too. -the state found our records, gave her and option to call or they would.-they called to confirm her call the following day)to give up the children due to misuse in the medicare dept., restraining order put on by the state to her boyfriends abuse towards the children. We found :confused: out a few days ago after reading our filing report she also filed for guardianship she wants joint guardianship with us. Is this possible???


Junior Member
The children's father is no where to be found. The other grandmother said he is hiding due to child support arrears posed by another child's mother. We had to post our request in the newspaper for guardianship allowing him 20 days to come forward.


Senior Member
Just a suggestion - become REALLY good friends with the state department that called to confirm her call to you. It sounds like they will be a fount of information and evidence for your hearing.

Check into the abuse allegations. If the children were abused while in the care of the "other grandma", then they need to be protected from that environment. This may mean supervised visitation for grandma, but whatever it takes to make the children safe.


Junior Member
The children can now only see their grandmother under supervision. She asks for them and has another adult come with her whom the state allows then drops them off somewhere else. She has been known for mental issues in the past but she is not proving any of the prior treatment has helped.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential