• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

joint custody to full custody..can I do it

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I live in Texas. My ex-wife and I have joint custody of our 5 year old son. He lives with me. I fear that our arrangement will hinder him as he starts school this fall. He rarely sleeps in the same place for more than a few nights and never really knows who he is going to be with. My ex has decided to move in with her boyfriend in a differnet city. She wants my son to go to school close to where she will be living beause it will be to far to drive on her days that our son is with her. I am contimplating seeking full custody of my son in an effort to ehlp stabilze his lifestyle. What are my chances of winning?


Senior Member
i am a firm believer that joint custody only works when both parents reside in the same town, almost on the same street.

it is not a stable environment to raise kids. the child doesn't really have a place to belong. there is one life with mom and one life with dad. a set of friends at each, etc.

it works easier if the child is not of school age, but once they reach school age it is greatly important that they have a stable environment.

personal opinion - but i would push to change the custody to joint legal and one parent having physical custody of the child with rotating weekends and holidays. it doesn't limit visitation time. the NCP can see the child whenever they wish - especially if the NCP is residing close by. but give the child a stable base.

more and more dads are winning custody these days. you need to show a stable home life. you could push that the mom has a live in boyfriend, not really a "permanent family unit". that your family and her family both live in your town, close by and that you can provide him with a sense of belonging. that custody has been split and that your child has establish a "home" with you. he is use to your house. the mom is moving, and will require him to adjust again to a new environment, new friends, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential