• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Joint tax return

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

topotun

Probably a silly question, but... I've been married for a couple of years, and I've filed (e-file through H&R block) joint tax returns with my wife. Something that had just crossed my mind - even though I list my wife's SS#, etc on the return, does she herself need to file another joint return with my information listed on it, or does one single joint return take care of both spouses' tax returns for that year? I.e., my single e-file submission takes care of both our tax statuses for all practical purposes?

Thank you in advance.

LdiJ

Probably a silly question, but... I've been married for a couple of years, and I've filed (e-file through H&R block) joint tax returns with my wife. Something that had just crossed my mind - even though I list my wife's SS#, etc on the return, does she herself need to file another joint return with my information listed on it, or does one single joint return take care of both spouses' tax returns for that year? I.e., my single e-file submission takes care of both our tax statuses for all practical purposes?

Thank you in advance.
Its a joint return. It's not your return. It is the return for both you and your wife.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I.e., my single e-file submission takes care of both our tax statuses for all practical purposes?
The whole point of the joint return is that one return is used to report the income for both spouses and thus meets the filing requirement for both. You need file only the one return. By doing that, both spouses becomes jointly and severally liable for the tax due on that single return.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">