• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judge dropped my case,but i still have a warrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Robert_C.

My name is Robert and I live in california.i was pulled over by a city police officer on 04/26/2018 and at that time i had no drivers license and had a warrant for failure to appear for court on 11/30/2002.new court date 05/29/2018,went to court,judge gave me 3 months extension to get my drivers license.new court date 08/29/2018,went to court with release form,judge gave me another 3 months extension to obtain and return to court with my drivers license on 12/05/2018 and he would dismiss case.went to court on 12/05/2018 with drivers license and case was dismissed.paid $25.00 for proof of correction on that same day.
I was with my brother when he got pulled over by a city police officer on 08/10/2019,he asked for both of our I.D.'s.after running our names my name came back with a warrant for my arrest for failure to appear in court.between my last court appearance on12/05/2018 and when we got pulled over on 08/10/2019 I haven't gotten a ticket for anything and had no court date.so why do I still have a warrant for my arrest if the judge dropped my case?I don't know what to do.

LdiJ

My name is Robert and I live in california.i was pulled over by a city police officer on 04/26/2018 and at that time i had no drivers license and had a warrant for failure to appear for court on 11/30/2002.new court date 05/29/2018,went to court,judge gave me 3 months extension to get my drivers license.new court date 08/29/2018,went to court with release form,judge gave me another 3 months extension to obtain and return to court with my drivers license on 12/05/2018 and he would dismiss case.went to court on 12/05/2018 with drivers license and case was dismissed.paid $25.00 for proof of correction on that same day.
I was with my brother when he got pulled over by a city police officer on 08/10/2019,he asked for both of our I.D.'s.after running our names my name came back with a warrant for my arrest for failure to appear in court.between my last court appearance on12/05/2018 and when we got pulled over on 08/10/2019 I haven't gotten a ticket for anything and had no court date.so why do I still have a warrant for my arrest if the judge dropped my case?I don't know what to do.
Did he arrest you? You need to take your proof of correction and go talk to the court clerk about the dismissed case and the fact that a warrant is still showing.

CdwJava

It sounds as if you addressed - or TRIED to address - the issues for the 2018 citation, but what about the 2002 warrant? All because you may have been arrested on the 2002 warrant does not mean that the issues of THAT warrant were addressed.

Were you arrested on the warrant? If not, do you know what court issued the warrant(s) that the officer told you about? You may have to obtain an attorney and get the information on those warrants so that you might address them.

Robert_C.

Did he arrest you? You need to take your proof of correction and go talk to the court clerk about the dismissed case and the fact that a warrant is still showing.
No the police officer did not arrest me,he just notified me about the warrant

Robert_C.

It sounds as if you addressed - or TRIED to address - the issues for the 2018 citation, but what about the 2002 warrant? All because you may have been arrested on the 2002 warrant does not mean that the issues of THAT warrant were addressed.

Were you arrested on the warrant? If not, do you know what court issued the warrant(s) that the officer told you about? You may have to obtain an attorney and get the information on those warrants so that you might address them.
I was arrested for the 2002 warrant on 04/26/2018,but was not arrested for the warrant on 08/10/2019.correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't the judge have any open case's associated with my name in front of him when I went to court?because I was arrested for the 2002 warrant shouldn't that have been addressed by the judge in 2018 court date?and shouldn't it show that I was arrested for that warrant

CdwJava

If the 2002 warrant was for an issue in another jurisdiction or outside the purview of the court you appeared in, then the warrant may have either been re-entered into the system, or, you were issued a promise to appear on that warrant along with any other paperwork. It would help to know whether the 2002 warrant was for traffic or something else, and whether it was in the same county as your 2018 arrest or not.

A warrant represents the existence of a separate matter. Appearing in court for an issue for which you were arrested or cited does not generally address a warrant issued for an unrelated offense.

Robert_C.

The officer that told me about the warrant did not arrest me,but he did tell me that the warrant was out of rancho Cucamonga Superior Court.i know you can't be arrested for driving on a suspend license,so the judge should've seen that I had been arrested for that warrant.when I was arrested for the 2002 warrant and where I went to court and where that warrant was issued from is the same rancho Cucamonga Superior Courthouse in San Bernardino County california

CdwJava

The officer that told me about the warrant did not arrest me,but he did tell me that the warrant was out of rancho Cucamonga Superior Court.i know you can't be arrested for driving on a suspend license,so the judge should've seen that I had been arrested for that warrant.when I was arrested for the 2002 warrant and where I went to court and where that warrant was issued from is the same rancho Cucamonga Superior Courthouse in San Bernardino County california
Same county doesn't mean the same court. Sometimes they can roll the matters together, sometimes they can't. And if npot held to account for the old warrant, it would be re-entered into the system.

What offense was on the 2002 warrant?

TigerD

Judges see hundreds or thousand of cases a month. They are not going to remember who has a warrant in what case. They will deal with the case before them and move on to the next case on the docket.

You know you have a warrant. Go get the details from the police and either hire an attorney to resolve the case or try to do it yourself. The next officer might be of a mind to arrest you. And there are many reasons why a police officer might choose to not arrest someone - don't try to read into that. It could be as simple as he was at the end of his shift and didn't want to spend the next two hours doing paperwork.

TD

Robert_C.

Same county doesn't mean the same court. Sometimes they can roll the matters together, sometimes they can't. And if npot held to account for the old warrant, it would be re-entered into the system.

What offense was on the 2002 warrant?
Driving with a suspended license,no registration for vehicle and no insurance

Robert_C.

Judges see hundreds or thousand of cases a month. They are not going to remember who has a warrant in what case. They will deal with the case before them and move on to the next case on the docket.

You know you have a warrant. Go get the details from the police and either hire an attorney to resolve the case or try to do it yourself. The next officer might be of a mind to arrest you. And there are many reasons why a police officer might choose to not arrest someone - don't try to read into that. It could be as simple as he was at the end of his shift and didn't want to spend the next two hours doing paperwork.

TD
I understand judges have a lot of case they have to handle and I'm not expecting him to remember or know about a warrant for a particular case.i was in court because of that warrant,that should've been the first thing the judge addressed.the court date I received was because I was arrested for that warrant.

CdwJava

Driving with a suspended license,no registration for vehicle and no insurance
Okay, so you had failed to appear on the offense in 2002? That explains the warrant and the arrest. You may have to check with the court to see if they somehow rolled that offense into the 2018 offenses or not.

Robert_C.

The reason I came seeking some advice from this website was to get some information how to handle it.i can't afford a lawyer and I can't afford to miss any work

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">