• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judge incorrectly calcualted child support.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Brush807

What is the name of your state? Maryland (EDITED post to avoid further confusion and i am terribly sorry)

I present my paystub to the judge and he calculated by current pay with the current ytd amount which made it one pay check higher. He did not understand that the amount should have been calculated against the ytd (year to date). How can I get that modified? It has made the back child support amount higher than it should be. I am not too worried about paying the current amounts but the arrears if freaking me out. I don't want to owe any money and I don't have the entire amount to pay it in a lump sum

Last edited:

justalayman

You’re not making sense. You said the judge used the current ytd amount but he should have used the ytd.

Is not the current ytd the ytd?

Brush807

You’re not making sense. You said the judge used the current ytd amount but he should have used the ytd.

Is not the current ytd the ytd?
Please reread my post. He used the current amount on my stub which means the amount I received for that pay period and the current ytd and added the 2. The current amount is already included in the current ytd...

justalayman

So basically one paycheck extra added in? How often are you paid? If weekly it would add about 4-5% to your earnings. I doubt that would make an extreme, if much at all difference in your support amount. If you get paid monthly it would add about 20%. That could make a fair difference but doubling it? Nope.

You might go hear and calculate the amount with the correct income;

http://www.dhr.state.md.us/CSOCGuide/App/disclaimer.do

justalayman

Has your earnings been less recently than earlier in the year?

If paid biweekly it would mean there was still less than 10% too much money being considered. That isn’t going to cause the disparity you claim. There is something else amiss here for that sort of difference .

Brush807

Has your earnings been less recently than earlier in the year?

If paid biweekly it would mean there was still less than 10% too much money being considered. That isn’t going to cause the disparity you claim. There is something else amiss here for that sort of difference .
I have no problem paying child support but I cant pay against money that I won’t receive. Seeking legal advice to see what can be done! Thanks

Brush807

The arrears was just applied yesterday. The judge applied back child support from the time the mom filed until the court date. Mom filed in November. Final court date was yesterday. Back child support applied from December to June even though i was giving her $600 a month until April. Didn’t give in May because we had the first hearing then...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">