• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judge said she would return ruling in 30 days! It’s been over that

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trprice

What is the name of your state? Arkansas
Judge ordered settlement, Ins comp and Doctor did not show up.
The Ins comp came back and appealed the ruling. We went back to court, Ins comp mad Judge angry. My case has been lingering 4 years.
The Judge threw out first settlement and said she would return final ruling and settlement in 30 days. It’s now been 32. My lawyer and I have heard nothing.
How long does Judge have? Was she suppose to return ruling within the 30 days?? A little upset right now. Actually almost sick with worry.

quincy

What is the name of your state? Arkansas
Judge ordered settlement, Ins comp and Doctor did not show up.
The Ins comp came back and appealed the ruling. We went back to court, Ins comp mad Judge angry. My case has been lingering 4 years.
The Judge threw out first settlement and said she would return final ruling and settlement in 30 days. It’s now been 32. My lawyer and I have heard nothing.
How long does Judge have? Was she suppose to return ruling within the 30 days?? A little upset right now. Actually almost sick with worry.
I am sure it is frustrating for you to have to wait but you will eventually hear from the judge.

Because you have an attorney, you need to rely on his advice and direction.

Good luck.

trprice

I am sure it is frustrating for you to have to wait but you will eventually hear from the judge.

Because you have an attorney, you need to rely on his advice and direction.

Good luck.
Why would Judge say 30 days she WOULD return with final judgment and ruling ? Don’t they have to make good on their word?

quincy

Why would Judge say 30 days she WOULD return with final judgment and ruling ? Don’t they have to make good on their word?
No. They don't. :)

It can take awhile for a judge to return with a decision. It is not uncommon for word from the judge to take longer than expected.

I hope you hear soon.

trprice

No. They don't. :)

It can take awhile for a judge to return with a decision. It is not uncommon for word from the judge to take longer than expected.

I hope you hear soon.
Thank you. Just been waiting 4 years. Finally got judgement. Now I’m waiting again.

RJR

He may have meant 30 business/court days, not calendar days!

quincy

Right, the Judge will make it when he is ready!
Yes. That was said. ;)

trprice, if you haven't heard anything in 90 days, your attorney can gently remind the judge that you are waiting on a decision.

Last edited:

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Try not to let this worry you so much. It's just been 32 days. The judge has no hard deadline she must meet for this and it is not all that uncommon for a judge to miss the time frame the judge said he or she would meet. Like with anyone else, things can come up for a judge that upset her plans and things get delayed. Many courts in this country have more case load than they should, with the result that cases take longer to get resolved. We need more resources for the courts, but state budget problems generally mean the courts don't get the money they should get. But the ruling should be along without a huge delay. The judge will want to get a case near completion done and off her docket. As quincy said, if the delay drags out, your lawyer can politely remind the judge that you're waiting for the decision.

If it makes you feel any better (and maybe it won't) I have had to wait up to six years after trial for decision from the U.S. Tax Court. And just getting to trial itself in that case took nearly 4 years. Granted, it was a complex case, but if the court weren't so overloaded it would not have taken nearly a decade to conclude. Be glad at least that your court is not that overburdened.

quincy

... If it makes you feel any better (and maybe it won't) I have had to wait up to six years after trial for decision from the U.S. Tax Court. And just getting to trial itself in that case took nearly 4 years. Granted, it was a complex case, but if the court weren't so overloaded it would not have taken nearly a decade to conclude. Be glad at least that your court is not that overburdened.
At least trprice's judge is unlikely to be like your Tax Court judge or, perhaps worse, like New York's Justice Edward Greenfield, whose failure to render decisions promptly led to a judicial misconduct hearing.

https://scholar.google.ca/scholar_case?case=774350580095725578&q=557+ne+2d+1177&hl=en&as_sdt=2,5

There were delays in Greenfield's decisions of between 7 months to over 9 years, and the State Commission on Judicial Conduct found "serious administrative failings" in the handling by Greenfield of the cases before him. The Judge was censured.

Some courts, and some judges, just operate more efficiently than others.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">