• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judgement Garnish?????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gucci129

What is the name of your state?NJ
I have an Original debt totaled 5000. Now the amoutn is 8500. PLus .45 cents interest everyday. Now I have not paid it since 11-00. They have sent me a letter telling me a judgement was entered and they will start garnishing my pay. I never received anything telling me a Judgement was entered. I contacted the Debt collectors to settle with an amount about 60% of total which they denied any type of settlement. They said they will send court officer to my home and work to garinsh and take my property. I dont own any property I live with mother who is disabled and out of work. If they take money from me monthly I will not be able to help her pay utilites and rent. Do I have any options, should I see a lawyer?

JETX

"Do I have any options"
*** Your options:
1) Your post says "I never received anything telling me a Judgement was entered."
Contact the original court and get a copy of the 'notice for service'. Check to make sure that you were properly served as required by your state law. If you were NOT served properly, you can file a "Motion to Vacate Judgment" and the court will schedule a hearing.
2) If the notice and judgment are valid, the judgment will stand. Your options then are:
2a) Contact the creditor and try to negotiate some type of settlement, payment plan, etc., or
2b) Refuse to pay or ignore the judgment.... in which case the judgment creditor can garnish your wages and bank account(s) and seize your non-exempt property and have it sold at auction...... and can also file liens against your property. All this while that old interest continues to accrue.....

Of course you can 'see a lawyer'. Whether that would do any good or not depends on your actions and choices above.

G

gucci129

Re:

HOw do I know If I was properly served I have not received anyhting until yesterday inwhich told me there was a judgemenet against me. Which is when I contacted the Creditors Lawyers to try and settle this. They told me the creditor can no longer negotiate with me due to the Lawyer owning my account. When I spoke to the creditors lawyer he is only will to negotaite 3k down and 500 per month Which is alot of money for me.

JETX

"HOw do I know If I was properly served I have not received anyhting until yesterday inwhich told me there was a judgemenet against me."
*** As noted in my original post.... CONTACT THE COURT!!!

julbug66

gucci129 said:
What is the name of your state?NJ
They have sent me a letter telling me a judgement was entered and they will start garnishing my pay.... I never received anything telling me a Judgement was entered. Do I have any options, should I see a lawyer?
even though it is illegal, some debt collectors will threaten you with this kind of garbage to scare you into paying. what county do you live in? contact your local superior court and ask if there have been any civil cases with you involved. they may be (probably are) bluffing.
p.s. regardless of what these collectors tell you, owing a debt is a civil, NOT a criminal, matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">