• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

judgement help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

annataz04

What is the name of your state? ILL. is it possible for a plaintiff who has a moneytary judgement against me to lien any of my real property meaning a car or motorcycle. due to my divorce her lawyer has a judgement against me for fees but i already give my ex more than 15% so her lawyer cant touch my paychecks , im thinking of trying to establish my credit again but i dont want her to be able to lien my propoerty. all help welcome!

S

seniorjudge

annataz04 said:
What is the name of your state? ILL. is it possible for a plaintiff who has a moneytary judgement against me to lien any of my real property meaning a car or motorcycle. due to my divorce her lawyer has a judgement against me for fees but i already give my ex more than 15% so her lawyer cant touch my paychecks , im thinking of trying to establish my credit again but i dont want her to be able to lien my propoerty. all help welcome!
If someone has a judgment against you, it can be a lien against your property (real, mixed, or personal).

JETX

annataz04 said:
What is the name of your state? ILL. is it possible for a plaintiff who has a moneytary judgement against me to lien any of my real property meaning a car or motorcycle.
A car, motorcycle, etc. is personal property, not 'real property'.

real property
n. 1) all land, structures, firmly attached and integrated equipment (such as light fixtures or a well pump), anything growing on the land, and all "interests" in the property, which may include the right to future ownership (remainder), right to occupy for a period of time (tenancy or life estate), the right to drill for oil, the right to get the property back (a reversion) if it is no longer used for its current purpose (such as use for a hospital, school or city hall), use of airspace (condominium) or an easement across another's property. Real property should be thought of as a group of rights like a bundle of sticks which can be divided. It is distinguished from personal property which is made up of movable items.

due to my divorce her lawyer has a judgement against me for fees but i already give my ex more than 15% so her lawyer cant touch my paychecks
Depending on your income, your state doesn't limit to 15%. Here are Illinois wage garnishment exemptions:
15% of gross wages or disposable earnings for workweek up to 45 x fed. min. hourly wage, whichever is greater.

im thinking of trying to establish my credit again but i dont want her to be able to lien my propoerty.
Placing judgment liens and wage garnishments are just some of the remedies available to a knowledgeable (and aggressive) judgment creditor.

Last edited:

annataz04

thanx JETX

according to the paperwork my employer recieved "as i read and understood it" no other garnishment could be added if i had a prior judgement ( the maintnance) that exceeded 15% of my gross, the creditor trying to recover at that time was a furniture co. which i also got stuck with in the divorce (with no furniture) if i made a purchase though ur saying that her lawyers firm could still tryto lien the property. how would they find out?

S

seniorjudge

annataz04 said:
according to the paperwork my employer recieved "as i read and understood it" no other garnishment could be added if i had a prior judgement ( the maintnance) that exceeded 15% of my gross, the creditor trying to recover at that time was a furniture co. which i also got stuck with in the divorce (with no furniture) if i made a purchase though ur saying that her lawyers firm could still tryto lien the property. how would they find out?
There are firms who collect judgments; they are experts at finding property owned by people as well as their employment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">