• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judgement Renewal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? California. I have a judgment from an Unlawful Detainer after I declared bankruptcy and the attorney failed to include my landlord. It has been almost 10 years and the judgment was assigned to a collections agency. I received a document saying the judgment is getting renewed for another 10 years unless i file a motion to oppose it. How do I do this? I paid some money to the collection agency but they do not include that money and keep adding collection costs to the judgment, which is well over the original amount.

Thank you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The renewal is automatic unless you have grounds to have the original judgment overturned.

quincy

What is the name of your state? California. I have a judgment from an Unlawful Detainer after I declared bankruptcy and the attorney failed to include my landlord. It has been almost 10 years and the judgment was assigned to a collections agency. I received a document saying the judgment is getting renewed for another 10 years unless i file a motion to oppose it. How do I do this? I paid some money to the collection agency but they do not include that money and keep adding collection costs to the judgment, which is well over the original amount.

Thank you.
Here is a link on objecting to a judgment renewal:
https://california.public.law/codes/ca_civ_proc_code_section_683.170

You must file a motion to vacate the judgment renewal - but you must have legitimate grounds to oppose the renewal.

I don't believe there is a motion form available for you to use (you could call the court to verify) so you will have to draft your own motion. Although you might be able to find a sample motion online to help you draft your own, you would benefit from having an attorney's assistance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">