• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dukemave

What is the name of your state?California

I received a judgement letter. The judgement was in 2007, I do not know what this judgement was for. I have contacted the plaintiff, which is he is an attorney. I have called several times no one answer, and no one call me back. I was working oversea from 2004 to 2014, I have no idea what happened or what is going on. The judgement has been accrued interest of all these years and the amount is about $68,000, and he is trying to levy my bank account. How can i fight this in court, is it too late? I have a feeling my ID was compromised during those years.

Looking forward for the helps

quincy

What is the name of your state?California

I received a judgement letter. The judgement was in 2007, I do not know what this judgement was for. I have contacted the plaintiff, which is he is an attorney. I have called several times no one answer, and no one call me back. I was working oversea from 2004 to 2014, I have no idea what happened or what is going on. The judgement has been accrued interest of all these years and the amount is about $68,000, and he is trying to levy my bank account. How can i fight this in court, is it too late? I have a feeling my ID was compromised during those years.

Looking forward for the helps
Do you recognize the creditor?

Dukemave

I never heard of the plaintiff's name, I googled it and it came up as he is an attorney. And I look closely at the Judgment debtor last know address which is the P.O box number. I never ever had any P.O box in my life. Is it too late to vacate the judgement? Seem like some one stole my ID.

zddoodah

I received a judgement letter.
Please explain what exactly you mean by "a judgement letter." Who sent the letter? Did the letter you received include a copy of the judgment with the court name and case number? What county?

The judgement was in 2007
A judgment entered in 2007 is no longer enforceable unless it has been renewed. Did the letter you received include any evidence of renewal of the judgment?

I have contacted the plaintiff, which is he is an attorney.
So...an attorney sued you and you don't know why? Are you sure the plaintiff was an attorney? As opposed to the plaintiff being represented by an attorney? Or maybe the plaintiff assigned the judgment to an attorney for collection?

he is trying to levy my bank account.
What does this mean? Not to quote Yoda or anything, but there is no "try" when it comes to levying a bank account. Either a levy has been served or it hasn't.

How can i fight this in court, is it too late?
Unfortunately, it's too late, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to get to the bottom of this. Start by answering the questions I asked.

quincy

The “judgment debtor’s” last known address was apparently a post office box, which is curious.

Dukemave, you might also want to contact your bank to see if your account has been frozen.

adjusterjack

I never heard of the plaintiff's name, I googled it and it came up as he is an attorney. And I look closely at the Judgment debtor last know address which is the P.O box number. I never ever had any P.O box in my life. Is it too late to vacate the judgement? Seem like some one stole my ID.
If you have the court name, location, and case number, it's an easy matter to get the case file and see what happened. Do that quickly.

zddoodah

If you have the court name, location, and case number, it's an easy matter to get the case file and see what happened. Do that quickly.
Not so easy to do right now since most clerks' offices are not open for file browsing. There are a handful of California counties where you can view documents online. Otherwise, the OP can only look at a docket. And some of the counties where documents are available online require payment of a fee.

quincy

The payment of a fee shouldn’t stop Dukemave, if he is interested in accessing the court files. I am not convinced that what he received has the information necessary for a search, though. And the letter might have been sent to him in error, too.

There really has not been enough information provided. Perhaps Dukemave will return to the forum to add some details.

TigerD

If you truly have no idea what this is - call an attorney of your own. You had to be served.

TD

Dukemave

Thank you for all the replies. I think I will order the documents from the court to able to know exactly what is this judgement is all about. I am still sensing my ID was stolen and something happened. Looks fishy.

quincy

Thank you for all the replies. I think I will order the documents from the court to able to know exactly what is this judgement is all about. I am still sensing my ID was stolen and something happened. Looks fishy.
It is always possible that your identification was stolen ... but a review of the court file can perhaps determine this better.

Good luck.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The only reason I found out was I received a levy letter from my bank.
While that is wise, that is not the proper way to immediately respond to this matter. You have a limited amount of time in which to challenge the levy with the bank (measured in days). I would ask them for their procedure for challenging it, but plan on contacting an attorney as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">