• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judgements and Bankruptcy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mitchel737

What is the name of your state? Texas

If I have had a judgement filed against me, and I file bankruptcy........does that wipe out the judgement?

Please advise!

Ladynred

Not exactly. It will wipe out the debt that caused the judgment. To get rid of the judgment itself, you'll have to go thru a bit more paperwork and legal expense to get it vacated.

T

typhoon

Re:

Not quite understand your responded, if you filed for bankruptcy and it was discharged. For example: You have a judgment on June 2000, and you filed for bankruptcy and it was discharged on "maybe" September 2000, should the judgment be vacated.

Typhoon

Ladynred

The judgement is NOT vacated automatically by the discharge.

The discharge is FEDERAL law, a judgment is CIVIL - you're in 2 different ball parks here. Once you have your discharge, you have to file a motion with the court that issued the judgment to have the judgment vacated. This means that your attorney has to file additional papers with the court that granted the judgment and you'll have to pay him extra for that time and the filing fees.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">