• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

judgements by 3 CC companies

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?new york

i received a summons last month from collection attorney...i am still validating that one..i was just served another summons from another attorney...my question is..if this goes all the way to the end and they win judgements...can they both collect or does it work first come first serve..(pertaining to the wage garnishment part, liens etc...) thanks for your help

Debt Guy

You don't validate a summons. Either you respond or you ignore it. A response is a legal filing with the court. For example, a general denial.

Garnishment of wages is on a first come, first served basis. Whoever is second just waits in line until the first garnishment is fully paid.

For what ever it is worth, it is better and cheaper to deal with these things before they become garnishments.

Or just run like a bunny and file bankruptcy right away before the law changes.

Ladynred

There are VERY few people who are TRULY 'judgment proof'..and that won't ever stop them from trying to take money and assets from you either - they will keep at it.

Debt Guy

People who are "judgment proof" today hopefully don't stay judgment proof for the rest of their lives. Judgments have very long lives -- between 10 and 20 years depending on the state. And, judgments can usually be renewed for another 10 to 20 years.

Also, being judgment proof does not stop garnishments of wages and bank accounts.

In my opinion, a person who thinks they are judgment proof is not only usually wrong but is clearly thinking in the very short term.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">