• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judgements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1tm315

I recently had a Judgement in FL.,filed against me and
a writ for garneshment of my wages. This is from a company
that bought the debt from Discover card. This was a card
obtained by my spouse,the original bal. was only 1200.00
This new company has issued a judgement in the amt. of 3800.00 plus "any and all finance charges and fees". I thought credit card debt was "unsecured" debt. Can they
do this? If so do I have any options at this point? Can
I pay the original creditor instead of the judgement creditor? How do I stop the garnishment of my wages?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

1tm315 said:
I recently had a Judgement in FL.,filed against me and
a writ for garneshment of my wages. This is from a company
that bought the debt from Discover card. This was a card
obtained by my spouse,the original bal. was only 1200.00
This new company has issued a judgement in the amt. of 3800.00 plus "any and all finance charges and fees". I thought credit card debt was "unsecured" debt. Can they
do this? If so do I have any options at this point? Can
I pay the original creditor instead of the judgement creditor? How do I stop the garnishment of my wages?
My response:

At some point in time, Discover was trying to collect the money to you. They got tired of not receiving their money, and so they sold the debt to someone else. It is that "someone else" (the Creditor) who sued you.

The problem is that when you were served with the Summons and Complaint, and were being sued by the Creditor, you failed to pay any attention to it, failed to defend against it, and they received your "automatic loss" (Default Judgment). Never, never, ignore papers from a court.

The judgment amount includes the original amount, plus interest, plus attorney's fees, plus court costs. That is why it's up to $3,800.00. Additionally, the law allows for interest to keep adding up until you pay the judgment in full.

"Unsecured debt" only means that a person doesn't have to put up any valuable collateral to get the loan. For example, you didn't need to sign your car over to Discover Company in order to use their card to buy things. That's all that means. It has nothing to do with whether you owe a debt. Debts don't just "vanish".

You have no options at this point. Your wages will be garnished, at the legal rate, until all of the money is paid in full.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">