• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

judgment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jeb

I hold a $5,000 judgment against a woman who was single, when the judgment was issued.
She is now married. She and her new husband own a house.
Can I place a lien against the house?
Thank you.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jeb:
I hold a $5,000 judgment against a woman who was single, when the judgment was issued.
She is now married. She and her new husband own a house.
Can I place a lien against the house?
Thank you.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

You seem to know quite a bit about the woman. So, I'm assuming, you have access to some of her personal information - - perhaps a Social Security number and/or her new last name? You could place a lien on the house; however, you'd have to run a title search first to see how the house is "titled" - in hers and husband's name, in her name alone, in husband's name alone, or in the name of someone else, or in some other fashion, like a "family trust." It seems to me that a much easier method would be to run a cheaper search for bank accounts, and attach those.

Let us know what you have done about this matter prior to your posting, and what you want to do now.

Oh, and one last thing. You could, in fact, bring her back into court for a "debtor's hearing" to determine, in court, where her assets are, and in what form. Remember, when you get her up on the stand, have her ordered to empty out her purse in front of the judge. You'd be amazed how many times I have had a debt satisfied when a purse is opened, or pockets are emptied.

Thanks for writing.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited April 02, 2000).]

J

jeb

To: I Am Always Liable.
This is excellent advice.
In which state do you practice?
Thank you!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jeb:
To: I Am Always Liable.
This is excellent advice.
In which state do you practice?
Thank you!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Thank you Jeb. However, let's not forget . . . this is not "advice" - - merely my "suggestion." I practice in California. Please read my "disclaimer," below.

Thanks for writing.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

J

jeb

I understand it is only a suggestion - not advice.
I am in Sunny Florida.
Thanks for your excellent suggestion!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">