• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

jump start misshap

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

t1mna

What is the name of your state? Utah

my car broke down at a gas station. My friends and i found another party to give my car a jump. Somehow, the cables got hooked up wrong, and melted. This caused a small mark on the other party's bumper. Now they are trying to claim over $700 on my insurance. I feel that since their party was just as negligent in this situation as mine that i dont owe them anything. who is right? is $700 for a bumper even reasonable?

H

hexeliebe

How can a bumper be damaged when jumper cables are melted?

I think you have two stories that have collided :rolleyes:

HomeGuru

hexeliebe said:
How can a bumper be damaged when jumper cables are melted?

I think you have two stories that have collided :rolleyes:
**A: could be possible on those newer cars with the plastic bodies.

T

t1mna

their bumber was made of plastic or rubber...it was a honda civic.
apparently what needs replaced is actually the bumper cover

H

hexeliebe

oh brother, it's not bad enough that it's a piece of crap, but it's driven by an idiot who can't tell + from - ....turn this in to your insurance.

H

hexeliebe

O.K. I'm absolutely POSITIVE this *#%%# day is going to turn out NEGATIVE with all the less than stellar posts that have magically appeared...:eek:

JETX

"My friends and i found another party to give my car a jump. Somehow, the cables got hooked up wrong, and melted."
*** Who was doing the 'hooking'??? Simply, if the other car was damaged due to the negligence of someone other than that cars owner, then that person COULD be found liable if a trial was held.

However, the amount of damages would be ONLY what is required to get the vehicle back into its 'pre-negligence' condition. That simply means, get the person a used bumper in 'as good' condition as the other bumper was. That person has no right to expect (or demand) a new bumper in place of his now damaged USED one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">