• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

jurisdiction question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Maine

I was recently served papers by the father of my two children, initial hearing parental rights/responsibilities. He filed them in the county he lives in. I live in a different county. Which county , or both has jurisdiction? The children have lived with me in my county since they were born if that applies. Thanks.

found answer


Just thought I would post my own reply as I managed to have somone check the statutes in Maine. I am NOT quoting verbatim....'regarding children of unmarried couples, either parent may file in their county of residence.' So the answer was either county in initial proceedings, if anyone was wondering.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential