• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.


Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Always Charmed

Greetings from California,

I was wondering if anyone knew how to change the jurisdiction in my custody case?
I live in a different county with my child, then the
original place of custody origin!
NCP recently moved back to county of origin.

Thank you!



Always Charmed

Please, if anyone has a suggestion or if you can point me in the right direction!



I could be wrong on this one, but I believe that if at least one of the parties resides where the jurisdiction was established, they don't bother moving it. However, if it is a problem for some reason, you may want to contact the Domestic Relations office in the county where the order originated and ask about having it transferred. I do know, however, that my DH's EX had their order transferred to PA, and then years later asked to have it transferred back to IL. We (okay, HE) objected and it stayed in PA.

Good Luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential