• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jury duty proof of non citizenship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nichka

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ
Hi!
I received a notice to appear to jury duty. I am not a US citizen and out of status now (my wife's petition for me is in process). Can I send them a copy of my country passport? If not - what other documents can be a proof of non US citizenship?
Thank you for your advice and help.

evcalyptos

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ
Hi!
I received a notice to appear to jury duty. I am not a US citizen and out of status now (my wife's petition for me is in process). Can I send them a copy of my country passport? If not - what other documents can be a proof of non US citizenship?
Thank you for your advice and help.
What does the notice say? When my LPR spouse got one, there was a declaration: I am/ am not a US citizen. He didn't have to provide evidence.
Clearly every county is going to be a little different, but check that you --must-- give evidence of not being a citizen.

nichka

I called them and said that I am not a US citizen, they asked me for proof - visa. I faxed them a copy of my native passport data and called again and they said they didn't check the fax yet but excused me first time.:p

Does anybody here knows if they can report to immigration for out of status "jury" or create other problems?:confused:

evcalyptos

I called them and said that I am not a US citizen, they asked me for proof - visa. I faxed them a copy of my native passport data and called again and they said they didn't check the fax yet but excused me first time.:p

Does anybody here knows if they can report to immigration for out of status "jury" or create other problems?:confused:
You know, a few months or a year ago I would say: no way will the jury summons lead to a referral for being out of status, but truthfully there are no guarantees.
Is your wife a citizen? I am guessing not.

You must have applied for a driver's license or done something to get on the jury rolls.

nichka

Yes, my wife is a US citizen - how it influence the situation?
Yes, I have a Dr.license.
Thanks for your opinions.

evcalyptos

Yes, my wife is a US citizen - how it influence the situation?
Yes, I have a Dr.license.
Thanks for your opinions.
Because if your wife is a citizen, you would normally have also submitted your I-485 to adjust status (get your green card). You only mention your wife's petition in your original post.
Also, if you have submitted a correct I-485, you're not exactly the same as out of status; you have permission to stay until they decide your I-485.

Lexxi2006

What state do you live in? I have gotten 2 summons for jury duty and I checked not a citizen both times. I was never asked for proof :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">