• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just a basic question I am wondering about.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lissa68

What is the name of your state? Iowa, but this is for any state and just a want to know question.

How much weight do emails and internet conversations hold in court?

Since the courts are now granting "internet visitation", I am just wondering what weight these things hold.

Not just conversations betweeen parent and child, but parent and parent.

Thanks.........................Merry Christmas all.

Lissa68

H

hexeliebe

It depends on what you mean. No one can tell you anything without the facts of what was said and in what context they will be used.

lissa68

Just basically...................

A question I guess of whether or not these types of things hold any weight in court.

For example: If I were to have done something intentionally to limit the time my ex has with our children, and admitted to doing it intentionally in an email between myself and my ex, is that substancial?

Now, by no means did I do this. I am NCP of my kids, and my ex is CP, we have a great relationship, but its my husbands ex that is causing a little bit of ruckous(sp).

But, basically, she lied to get the modification hearing, admitted this in front of witnesses that were not family members, and were also friends of hers, to which they have all agreed to witness statements, and then told father that modification hearing was going to be dropped, and instead went and got what she wanted. But in emails and internet conversations, she admitted to lying about it, and was quite proud she got away with it.

Thats the basics.

Thanks Hex

H

hexeliebe

The people to whom she told these things either in person or through e-mail can testify to receiving them and to the fact that they were received.

They cannot testify to a legal certainty that SHE sent them, only that they originated from her e-mail account. However, in cases like these, where one person testifying may not hold weight, 10 people testifying, especially when they are known to her and not your known friends will hold more weight.

The best thing for you at this point is to get copies of the e-mails and conversations from those friends along with signed affidavits to the source of the conversations.

It's up to a judge how much weight he/she will allow them to have.

lissa68

Thank You

For your Reply.

This may be what we need to put this whole thing over the cliff.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Lissa68

M

monnickasmommy

My husband had alot of emails from the Military about his ex-wife and yes, the did hold in court very well- just make sure you have the entire headers (to and from )

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">