• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just curious....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Michael44

What is the name of your state? My ex-wife still has, or has sold, my property that she would not let me get when I moved out. We were just legally divorced I don't even have the papers yet. Can I bring a small claims case against her?

quincy

What is the name of your state?

If your exwife sold property that belonged solely to you, it could be possible to sue to recover the cost.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
First: What US state?

If the matter wasn't specifically addressed in the divorce, then you likely have no recourse because the divorce settled all those types of claims.

However, if your divorce stated that she was to return XYZ to you, and she failed to do so, then your recourse is a contempt motion through the court that issued the order.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? My ex-wife still has, or has sold, my property that she would not let me get when I moved out. We were just legally divorced I don't even have the papers yet. Can I bring a small claims case against her?
You did not address property in your divorce?

quincy

Well...no. That would be retrying the matter. The proper court to handle this matter in would be the court that issued the order. (res judicata)
Well .. it actually depends on facts not yet known. We have no idea if a court decided on a property division.

Zigner

Well .. it actually depends on facts not yet known. We have no idea if a court decided on a property division.
Unless the court specifically didn't decide on property division, then it's included as part of the judgment, and I doubt that this OP went through the process of a bifurcation.

Zigner

You might be wrong even if it is the US. Some amateur divorces don't even address property.
While you are correct that I *might* be wrong, I would venture that most amateur divorces use preprinted forms that include property division. Furthermore, most courts require disclosure of property, etc., as part of the divorce. I'm pretty comfortable with my statement.

LdiJ

While you are correct that I *might* be wrong, I would venture that most amateur divorces use preprinted forms that include property division. Furthermore, most courts require disclosure of property, etc., as part of the divorce. I'm pretty comfortable with my statement.
Yes, most preprinted forms do, but that does not mean that the users filled out that part other than saying "none" because they did not understand that property includes their personal property.

I am almost positive that his divorce did NOT address the property that his ex won't let him have.

Zigner

Yes, most preprinted forms do, but that does not mean that the users filled out that part other than saying "none" because they did not understand that property includes their personal property.

I am almost positive that his divorce did NOT address the property that his ex won't let him have.
If they filled out the form as "none" then the matter has been decided in the judgment, as any property in the possession of the parties is considered their own property now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">