• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just found out who my dad is can I get my inheritance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TheBombGirl

I am in Va. My biological dad passed away in 2013 leaving my half siblings ALOT of money. I just found out that I am his child thru a DNA test. My mom said she thinks he knew. They ended up getting married in the 90’s. I was born in 1973. My dad who raised me is on my birth certificate, could I possibly get this changed at some point.

Just Blue

I am in Va. My biological dad passed away in 2013 leaving my half siblings ALOT of money. I just found out that I am his child thru a DNA test. My mom said she thinks he knew. They ended up getting married in the 90’s. I was born in 1973. My dad who raised me is on my birth certificate, could I possibly get this changed at some point.
You would disrespect your father this way?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Of all the arrogant, self-serving, entitlement posts I have seen, this one takes the biscuit.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You are entitled to nothing. Even if he knew, he could have left you nothing. Why do you believe you are entitled to anything? Legally, you are owed nothing.

FlyingRon

It's too late. If your biological father had been in Virginia when he died, and you had proof that you are his biological daughter, then you had ONE YEAR from the time he died to make that claim. Even then it would only matter if he was intestate (or if the will didn't specifically list the children). If he left his money to specific people (children or otherwise), you have no claim in Virginia even if you were known to be his daughter throughout your life.

Last edited:

TheBombGirl

I came here for help ! How am I arrogant wow. You people obviously have nothing better to do but be mean to complete strangers.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I came here for help ! How am I arrogant wow. You people obviously have nothing better to do but be mean to complete strangers.
You are arrogant in assuming you are entitled to anything. Look at your phrasing. You refer to it as "my inheritance". That isn't a thing. You are entitled to NOTHING when a relative dies. NOTHING.

Just Blue

No one was mean to you. You were advised. The man was not your legal father. He, nor his estate, owes you a dime.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If by "help" you mean, tell me how I can get my hands on money that the law does not entitle me to but that I want, sorry, you'll get no help here.

zddoodah

My biological dad passed away in 2013 leaving my half siblings ALOT of money.
Why do you refer to this man as your "biological dad," as opposed to just "dad"?

I just found out that I am his child thru a DNA test.
What sort of DNA test could possibly have "just" taken that could tell you that you're the biological child of a man who died nearly a decade ago? What DNA samples was your DNA tested against?

My mom said she thinks he knew.
Well...he would have known that he and your mother had intercourse, and he might have known that she gave birth to a kid, but he couldn't have KNOWN that you were his kid unless a DNA test was done. Obviously, that wouldn't have happened in the early/mid-70s, but maybe it happened after they later got married. For all he knew, she could have had many other sexual partners back in the swinging seventies.

My dad who raised me is on my birth certificate
Why? Were he and your mother married at the time of your conception/birth?

could I possibly get this changed at some point.
If you have valid evidence, maybe.

Agree about 2 of the first three responses in the thread, but the third provided helpful information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">