• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just learned that my husband has a suspended license in another state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kissapaw

:eek: What is the name of your state? NY

My husband and I are in the process of relocating from NY to NC. While trying to get his license in NC, he was informed that he has a suspended license in PA and was given a # to call in PA. Apparently he had an "accident" in PA back in 1987 -- he swerved to miss a deer, and in doing so, blew out 3 of his 4 tires and ripped up some guy's field. No one else was involved in the incident. A friend had been following him, so he picked him up. The next day, my husband contacted the PA township where the accident occurred. He was told to come pick up his vehicle where it had been towed (in NY) and then was asked to meet an officer at the Silver Lake Fire Dept in Susquehanna, PA, and was issued an ticket for leaving the scene of an accident. (The officer that issued the ticket was the acting constable, sitting in for the constable who was on vacation at the time). He paid the $350 fine and was instructed to fix the field where the accident occurred and conferred with the owner of the field to ensure that everything was OK.

Now, 18 years later, he is being told that something was sent to him in the mail at his then apartment, but my husband states he never received anything. Now they want him to appear in Harrisburg Town Court and explain why he should get his license back.

He has been renewing his license in NY since this so-called accident, and this is the first time this issue has come up. As I stated, we are in the process of relocating, so have been ridding ourselves of unnecessary items. He recently came across the receipt from this incident, but threw it away thinking we were never going to need it again. But lo and behold.....

Anyone out there have any advice????

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">