• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

just married - how do I file my taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



TX - I got married last month. I have 2 children. Can I file head of household for the 2000 income tax year? I have not changed my name with SS.



Filing status

Since you were married in 2001, you can file your 2000 income tax year return as head of household. However, you will have to file the return for the income year 2001 as a joint return with your spouse or as married filing separate. In other words, your marriage in 2001 has no effect on your taxes for 2000. Your filing status has nothing to do with changing your name with SS.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential