• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just not right....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

john67037

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?Fl.

My brother died recently and before he died he told me that he wanted me to give him my info so that he could put my name in his life insurance as primary bene. I did not give him that info and so he said that he would put a friend down and that his friend would get in touch with me. My brother changed his SGLI (Military life insurance) and then killed himself the next day. The insurance already said that they will pay out his life insurance. My brother wrote a good bye letter stating that all of his money and estate should go to his friend not to his wife.

My problem is ....
On the day my brother changed his life insurance a person went with him, lets call this person Jack.At the insurance office the person working there said that Jack was very wierd and kept interrupting trying to help my brother fill out the documents. It turns out that Jack´s name ends up on the life insurance documents in his own hand writing!!! Jack was a second beneificary with 100% as well as "the friend" on the primary spot with 100%.
So nows there is a conflict. Also, there is a line drawn from the secondary bene.(Jack) to the contingent spot where Jack is listed. My brother just met Jack last year, there is something very wrong with this whole thing. My brother always told me how he did not like Jack coming around.

Is there a way for me to fight for my brothers rights so that his last wish could be forfill and his money goes to his best friend? Please help me....

Dandy Don

You have not explained why you did not give your brother your information, which should have been very easy to do.

You should be contacting SGLI or whatever branch of the armed forces he served in to make inquiries about who is going to get paid. Probably the wife. If you know there are suspicious circumstances you need to notify the insurance company so they will have it put into temporary interpleader status so that perhaps the courts or their own further investigation can decide who actually gets paid. But it's hard to see how you have legal rights if he named someone else as primary beneficiary. At least notify the man's wife about this if you care about her status as widow so she can decide whether she wants to investigate the situation.

john67037

We´ll I did not give him my info because he told me he needed it so me and my kids could live a better life than we have been. I knew he was trying to do something to himself ,so that is why I told him NOT NOW...He talked about ways of completing his suicide and I thought I could stop him by not letting him complete his life insurance.At the end of our discussion everything seemed to be fine and we made plans of meeting up, which never happened . I know that my brother did not want Jack to have a dime**************it just hurts to know that my brother will never be able to rest in peace. :-(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">