• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just received jury duty summons with "previously absent"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wc8587

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hey all so quick question. According to the jury duty summons I received today, it says I have postponed 3x since July 2014, which is correct. But the one thing I thought was off was that under it, it said "previously absent" I am going to assume that this means they have sent me another summons before this and I didn't go. I haven't received a summons prior to this one at all and was unaware I ignored one. The summons today is for a date in December, which I am definitely attending. My question is, should I call and explain to the clerk that I haven't received a summons prior to this and never intended to avoid jury duty? I don't want to get in trouble for something I was unaware of and had no control over.

adjusterjack

Of course you should call. Doesn't make sense not to. For all anybody knows that could just be a reference to an excused absence.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I haven't received a summons prior to this one at all and was unaware I ignored one.
Well if you postponed three times already thne obviously you DID get a summons - a few of them.

...never intended to avoid jury duty?
How else do you explain postponing three times? I'm surprised the court even allowed that.

As long you you are planning on going next month then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Wc8587

Yes, of course I receive summons before this in order to postpone. I was saying I did not receive one and ignore, which would have lead to the previously absent on it.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Well, you're not making things clear.

As I said I'm surprised that the court allowed all of those postponements.

Go next month as scheduled and that will be the end if it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">