• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just want bio-dad gone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

My girlfriend had a son three years ago, she was not married. Her son's bio-father denies paternity, was not there for her during the pregnancy and has not been in the picture since... he doesn't even appear on the birth certificate. She is wondering if this guy can in the future just change his mind, declare paternity and demand child custody/visitation? She has never received any child support from him and doesn't need nor want it, but if he ever tried to come back in the picture, can she sue him for back child support? Since he hasn't been around for years, is there any way to just terminate his rights? I've heard the guy technically isn't legally considered the boy's father since he isn't on the birth certificate. Is that true?



mom has rights you and alleged dad dont

yes he can. if he is the father, he will have rights.his rights cant be terminated unless you and your gf marry, and the bio father agrees to let you adopt the child. you cannot just elimanate the father just because YOU want to.this child has a father, and its not YOU. you are a legal stranger with no rights to the child whatsoever.
Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential