• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just wondering

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Florida. Our daughter left the state of Florida and left her son with us was supposed to be gone for one week after that 1 week we haven't heard from her at all and she's 3 weeks gone now school's going to be coming up she hasn't contacted him either the father's nowhere in the picture never has been so I was just kind of wondering what I could do or what I should do as far as school maybe what if something medical God forbid happens should I file something for custody Temporary custody

adjusterjack

What's that? Eighth grade for him in a couple of weeks. He should know by now what he has to have and do on the first day of school. Ask him. Get him what he needs by way of supplies. See if he's OK with just being dropped off without you making a fuss. You don't want to embarrass him in front of his friends by Grandma walking him into school.

If anything happens, he knows how to get in touch with you.

You've got a couple of weeks to go. Don't sweat it.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Florida. Our daughter left the state of Florida and left her son with us was supposed to be gone for one week after that 1 week we haven't heard from her at all and she's 3 weeks gone now school's going to be coming up she hasn't contacted him either the father's nowhere in the picture never has been so I was just kind of wondering what I could do or what I should do as far as school maybe what if something medical God forbid happens should I file something for custody Temporary custody
Did you know where she was going? Have you tried contacting her? Have you made a missing person's report?
Do you know who the father is?

We know she was going to KY for a week. Yes have reached out and after the first week nothing in return...no missing persons report as I see on the bf fb that she is ok and the girls 11 and 6 are ok..... don't have an address have figured out Franklin County KY and pinpointed Frankfort We know the father he has not been in the kids lives since the 13 year old was 2 and all i know is he is in Tn somewhere.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
We know she was going to KY for a week. Yes have reached out and after the first week nothing in return...no missing persons report as I see on the bf fb that she is ok and the girls 11 and 6 are ok..... don't have an address have figured out Franklin County KY and pinpointed Frankfort We know the father he has not been in the kids lives since the 13 year old was 2 and all i know is he is in Tn somewhere.
You will need to make an attempt to locate the father. You will likely need the assistance of an attorney at some point. You may wish to at least consult with one now.

What's that? Eighth grade for him in a couple of weeks. He should know by now what he has to have and do on the first day of school. Ask him. Get him what he needs by way of supplies. See if he's OK with just being dropped off without you making a fuss. You don't want to embarrass him in front of his friends by Grandma walking him into school.

If anything happens, he knows how to get in touch with you.

You've got a couple of weeks to go. Don't sweat it.
Yeah so that is 9th grade and you are right he knows what he needs...... I do not want to overreact but I don't want to underreact and not take the steps I should have for his safety. My Daughter is unstable and I never know what she will be doing next.

zddoodah

In any future posts, please make an effort to use something that resembles proper capitalization and punctuation. Doing so will make it easier for others to read and understand what you write.

I was just kind of wondering what I could do or what I should do as far as school
Depends on the child's age and current registration status for the 2022-23 school year. When my kids were 13/14, by the end of June, they were already registered for the following year, so the only thing to be done was to show up on the appropriate dates for the start of the next school year. And it's not like school's starting in the next couple of weeks.

what if something medical ... happens
You'll presumably call 911 or take him to an emergency room, etc.

should I file something for custody Temporary custody
Hard to say. If you do, make sure you give your daughter very clear notice by text message, voice mail, email, etc. of what you intend to do. And consult with a local attorney.

LdiJ

I disagree a little bit with the other advice you have received. I think that you are being a little premature, particularly in trying to find the father. Your daughter may have every intention of returning in time for school to start and you don't want to risk having a 13 year old have to go off with a total stranger because you dragged his father back into his life. You don't need to find dad to file for emergency, temporary custody and you don't need to do that until you are sure that mom is not coming back. I would wait at least until school starts before you do anything. He is already registered (or should be) so you don't have to do that.

You could also reach out to mom's boyfriend via messaging on face book and let him know that you need to talk to your daughter about getting the 13 year old medical care.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I disagree a little bit with the other advice you have received. I think that you are being a little premature, particularly in trying to find the father.
Fair enough - finding the father would be part of the process of gaining some sort of legal custody over the kids. It doesn't need to happen right now.

LdiJ

Fair enough - finding the father would be part of the process of gaining some sort of legal custody over the kids. It doesn't need to happen right now.
Right, and it doesn't need to happen until after she gets emergency, temporary custody. It would be part of the process in getting more permanent custody. The courts will give grandma temporary, emergency custody if both parents are MIA, and sort out the permanent arrangements after.

LdiJ

As opposed to the mother that has abandoned the child.
We don't know that mom has actually abandoned the child. However, I was talking about the child being jerked from a Grandma he knows well, to a father whom has been absent for 11 years. If it is going to happen, they at least need to be introduced and take some time to get to know each other first. 13 years old is a very vulnerable age.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">