• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Juvenile FBI Fingerprint check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Progressiverain

What is the name of your state? CO

When I was 16 I had a deferred judgement for a felony I committed. Now I'm applying for a job at a bank and they require an FBI fingerprint check. I know the FBI has my record because they found it when I joined the Army. Will the FBI divulge my juvenile records to the bank I'm applying for?

Wolflmg

Normally when a minors record is sealed when they reach the age of 18, but that could depend upon the crime that was commented.

Wolflmg

Progressiverain said:
Yeah Ive passed background checks and had jobs after I was 18 but I wondering about the whole FBI fingerprint check.
Don't really know about that. But I would assume its the same process, as the background checks.

Hhmmm,

Banks are funny. Since they must insure their clients/customers' money through a Federal government agency (FDIC), they need FBI fingerprint checks and background checks. Money is generally regulated to some extent by the Feds. Check the Federal laws as they apply to sealed felony records--they may be very different from local/state laws.

If your felony conviction involved money or theft, and considering you were 16 and not 10 (and should have known better--older minors can be tried in adult courts for their felonies if the offense is serious enough), it may be pertinent to a bank to know--even if your records were sealed.

Job application forms ask if you've ever been convicted of a felony (or a "crime"), and if your crime was petty theft (multiple convictions of petty theft can be listed as felonies) and you've "matured" since, there shouldn't be a problem. Then again, we're talking about the banking industry, so it's hard to tell.

DRTDEVL

Yes, your fingerprints will hit.

Look back at the security questionairre... Did it ask "Have you ever been arrested..." or "Have you ever been convicted..." If the former, you need to explain in detail. If the latter, be prepared to explain in detail.

You are applying for a position of EXTREME trust. Your records will be found.

Take heart in the fact that you have an honorable discharge (I hope). This will be considered as a mitigating factor when it comes time for the checks. It will prove that you have grown up, served your debt to society, and then served your country beyond that. Just make sure you list it on the security questionairre either way, and explain what took place. You will still get the job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">