• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

K-3 visa

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brn2win67

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois. I've already filed I-130 for my wife and got receipt from INS with case number. Now I have to file I-129f, what documents should I submit with I-129f-it's not clear in instructions. Thanks in advance.

evcalyptos

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois. I've already filed I-130 for my wife and got receipt from INS with case number. Now I have to file I-129f, what documents should I submit with I-129f-it's not clear in instructions. Thanks in advance.
What is not clear?

Furthermore, WHY do you want a K-3 visa instead of an immigrant visa? What country is your wife in?

8. How Do You Use This Form for Your Spouse Seeking Entry With a K-3 Visa?

This form may be used to obtain a K-3 visa for your alien spouse. Fill out the form as directed, except assume that "fiancé" or "fiancé(e)" means "spouse." Answer Questions B.17 and B.18 by stating "N/A." Note that filing this form is only necessary to facilitate the entry of your spouse as a nonimmigrant.

You must submit the documents required in Items 1, 2 and 4 of the instructions, but may omit the documents required in Item 3. In addition, U.S. citizens petitioning for K-3 visas for their alien spouses must also include evidence that they have filed Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, on behalf of the alien spouse listed on this form, and a marriage certificate evidencing the legal marriage between the citizen and alien.

The LIFE Act requires applicants to apply for a K-3 visa in the country where their marriage to the U.S. citizen petitioner occurred. Petitioners should make sure to identify the appropriate consulate, in the same country where they married the alien for whom they are petitioning, in Block 20 to avoid lengthy delays. In the event the petitioner and alien were married in the United States, they should list the country of the alien's current residence. See U.S. Department of State regulations at 21 CFR 41.81.

brn2win67

k-3 visa

my wife is in Russia and I already appied for immigration visa filing I-130. K-3 was disigned to reduce waiting time so your spouse is able to come to the States before his or hers immigrant petition is approved. You just gave me same stuff that I've read in instructions. Did you read those items? Then could you please tell me what documents I need? Thanks

ImmigAttyLana

Yes, the K-3 may have been INTENDED to allow a spouse to come to the US before an immigrant visa would become available. However, in PRACTICE, the processing times of the K-3 are about the same currently as they are for the I-130 so you might be better off just waiting for the I-130.

evcalyptos

my wife is in Russia and I already appied for immigration visa filing I-130. K-3 was disigned to reduce waiting time so your spouse is able to come to the States before his or hers immigrant petition is approved. You just gave me same stuff that I've read in instructions. Did you read those items? Then could you please tell me what documents I need? Thanks
Yes, that was the purpose of the K-3 visa when it was created. At that time, "the immigrant petition" was taking 24-36 MONTHS to be approved, so there was a great need to have this bridge visa.
Currently, the immigrant petition I-130 takes about 6 months to approve.
Currently, the K-3 process takes the same/nearly the same amount of time as the Immigrant Visa, but with far less benefit and much greater expense.

By the time you get your receipt from the I-130 and the docs ready for the I129f, you might find that your I-130 is well on its way on its own. You can check processing time estimates at uscis.gov and search the net for others who have filed around the same time as you for more reality-based estimates.

The K-3 is not a requirement; your wife might be to the US just as fast with a better visa if you leave it alone.

You should really be certain this is the path you want and understand how it works.

The instructions are clear on what to include; you just need to go through the instructions very carefully. Here is one guide that might help you get organized:
K3 Visa - Guide to Filing the I-129F Fiance(e) Petition

brn2win67

Thanks to all of you for explanation. I got info from other sources and I think it might be better to leave it alone and wait for immigrant visa. All the best to you guys!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">