• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

K1 VISA LIMITATION ON DEPARTURE PORT BEFORE PORT OF ENTRY INTO THE USA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GEO78

restrictions on k1 visa as to which country flight to the usa was from?
My fiance is a citizen of the Philippines and lives there. if my fiance is approved by embassy in Philippines, can we enter USA together from England? We want to take a trip to Europe for a few weeks before getting married IN THE USA AFTER WE enter the USA. thanks

FlyingRon

You are not under any constraints at all (I assume you are a US citizen). Understand the K-1 is valid for one entry and that must lead to you marrying IN THE STATES within 90 days (at which point she can apply for a change of status to permanent resident. It matters not how she gets to the point of entry. Note the K-1 is only a single entry visa for the purpose of the actual marriage. If you get married outside the US, or she leaves after the K-1 is issued (even if you are married), she can't reenter on a K-1 (either the same or a new one).

As stated by FlyingRon it doesn't matter how she gets to the U.S.She can enter with you or alone, from the Philippines or EuropE. But in the U.S airport she will get a different line from you to get through the immigration, since she is not a U.S Citizen.

quincy

As stated by FlyingRon it doesn't matter how she gets to the U.S.She can enter with you or alone, from the Philippines or EuropE. But in the U.S airport she will get a different line from you to get through the immigration, since she is not a U.S Citizen.
Those who call themselves attorneys on this forum must be vetted by forum administrators. See the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. Thanks.

LdiJ

Once the embassy in her home country issues the visa she normally has 6 months to enter the US via an authorized port of entry and request that she be allowed into the US. (She can be denied under certain circumstances). It makes no mention of where she took the flight/bus/boat from to come to the US
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-fiance-k-1.html
When my ex entered on a K1 he only had 90 days to enter. That was a long time ago but I thought I would mention it in case you were iffy on the 6 months.

FlyingRon

The visa duration on a K-1 is indeed six months now. That means have six months to ENTER the US. They have 90 days after that entry to either get married and apply for the change of status based on that marriage or GET OUT.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">