• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Kansas: Expired and switched license plates, no proof of insurance.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

equalme

What is the name of your state? Kansas.

My friend was driving my vehicle and was pulled over for expired tags. They ran the plate and figured out it did not match the vehicle and she had no proof of insurance. She was able to show the officer the Bill of Sale and the signed title that I left in the vehicle.

I purchased that vehicle about a year ago but delayed registering the vehicle since I could not afford the sales tax yet (just finished grad school two months ago). I used a license plate from one of my older vehicle that is no longer driven and that registration on it had just expired. I did have full coverage insurance on the vehicle at the time but did not have it in the vehicle and she was unable to show proof of it... my friends name is not on the policy (I just let her borrow it that one day to take to school). Since she was close to my house already, the officer just gave her the ticket and allowed her to drive the vehicle home instead of impounding it.

So the citation I received shows:
-35-10: No proof of liability insurance = Fee $court.
-35-926: Tags 6+ months = Fee $100.
-Switched tags = Fee $court.

The vehicle is now legally registered under my name with new and active license plate and tags. I did not add my friend to my insurance policy since it was a one time incidence of her driving my vehicle. She also had fully coverage on her own vehicle if it makes any difference.

What would like be the outcome when we go to court? Since it was my vehicle and she was unaware of the issues with the car, is there anyway she can allow me to appear in court in her behalf? Is this something I should be thinking about hiring an attorney to help with?

Thanks!

PayrollHRGuy

What would like be the outcome when we go to court? Since it was my vehicle and she was unaware of the issues with the car, is there anyway she can allow me to appear in court in her behalf? Is this something I should be thinking about hiring an attorney to help with?

Thanks!
The outcome will depend on the judge.

Her not knowing is really not a defense.

No, you can't appear on her behalf. That would be the practice of law. You can appear as a witness and take all the blame.

It never hurts to have a lawyer.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
So you knowingly let someone use your car when it wasn't legal to operate? You are lucky you didn't get in a lot more trouble.

I am also doubting that you could afford to pay for insurance when you couldn't afford the sales tax.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">