• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Kansas landlord/tenant law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kcchiefs

What is the name of your state? Kansas
I am trying to find information about eviction laws in the state of Kansas. I know that the landlord has to give the tenant notice to pay or quit after nonpayment of rent. My question is how long does the landlord have to give notice to the tenant. I found the following information about it, but I am not sure if this is correct and if so, whether it applies to all evictions:

"If you are behind in your rent, you may be served with a 3 day (72 hr.) notice. This notice must state in writing that you have 3 days, 5 if the notice was mailed, to either pay your rent or move out. If you do neither, your landlord can bring suit against you in court. Check your lease, if you have one, to see if it requires more notice than this in such situations."

I have also found information with different time frames. could someone please clear this up for me or point me in the right direction where to find the correct information. Thank you so much!

kcchiefs

nope, no toto here... I'm still trying to find the yellow brick road!!! :p

thanks for the links, the hcci-ks.org link is where I had gotten my info from (what I pasted). Just needed to confirm whether this applies to all evictions!!!

BTW, are you "insane"???? :)

ealtorfer

I'm inclined to say you're right in your analysis. Typically (and everywhere I've been), 3 days notice must be given to pay the rent or move out. In the event that you pay, the landlord will not be permitted to evict you. If you fail to, however, you must leave the dwelling immediately or he/she may file a lawsuit against you...if he succeeds and you do not move out, the sheriff will move you out.

ENASNI

ahem

ealtorfer said:
I'm inclined to say you're right in your analysis. Typically (and everywhere I've been), 3 days notice must be given to pay the rent or move out. In the event that you pay, the landlord will not be permitted to evict you. If you fail to, however, you must leave the dwelling immediately or he/she may file a lawsuit against you...if he succeeds and you do not move out, the sheriff will move you out.

New Person.. whomever you are... do you realize you really messed up my parting line... . ahem... ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">