• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Kansas-Wife lied about $80,000 debt from insurance companies after totalling my vehicle 3 years ago. What are my rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Her use of the car might not be "secret" but whether hubby can be held responsible for her debt is a different question ....and for $80k I'd sure want KS counsel on my side . It's not at all clear that he acquiesced to the improper use of his car.
Considering that he didn't even mention that she was unlicensed until his 3rd post, I think we can safely assume that he acquiesced, and that her use was "no biggie", other than the accident.

HRZ

That's why there are lawyers ....views differ.

Hubby deserves to be on short list for a lobotomy for allowing unlicensed driver to drive his car.

But apparently this driver created a massive lie and assured the owner that the accident was covered by insurance and hid the actual facts. Believing ones spouse does by itself not get you an idiot award ...comes close in hindsight !

Just Blue

Her use of the car might not be "secret" but whether hubby can be held responsible for her debt is a different question ....and for $80k I'd sure want KS counsel on my side . It's not at all clear that he acquiesced to the improper use of his car.
He doesn't have to "acquiesce" for him to be held culpable. This happened in 2015. For 3 years he had no clue that there were financial repercussions to this accident? HIS insurance company never contacted HIM? Nah...Not buying it.

Just Blue

That's why there are lawyers ....views differ.

Hubby deserves to be on short list for a lobotomy for allowing unlicensed driver to drive his car.

But apparently this driver created a massive lie and assured the owner that the accident was covered by insurance and hid the actual facts. Believing ones spouse does by itself not get you an idiot award ...comes close in hindsight !
HRZ...Reread what OP has stated on this thread. Does it make any sense to you that he was unaware of the debt from this accident? If it does, you need to stop smoking the wackeyweed.:p

HRZ

He might be brain dead and distracted and devoid of common sense to check for accuracy of wife's statement that insurance covered it ...in which case all the more reason he needs good counsel darn soon ..because all his credibility is headed for the toilet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">