• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Keep ex hands off childrens money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Michigan

My boyfried is recently divorced and wants to set up a life insurance policy listing his 2 children as beneficiaries.
What would be the best way so the ex cannot get her hands on the money?


Senior Member
He can talk to an estate planning attorney regarding a trust for the kids that they recieve after majority. This would be in addition to any life insurance he is obligated by court order to provide the CP in case of death.


Senior Member
AS long as he has provided for their care financially during their minority, then he can have a seperate amount designated for college or post majority. But the court can order money left to them to be used for their care (in lieu of his support) if he fails to leave appropriate funds to replace his CS.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential