• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Keep GC and work outside the USA?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ankors

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California.

I am currently living in WA, but received my GC in CAL. I have been on a GC for 3 yrs.

I would ideally like to spend a few years outside the USA working and living. I would like to be able to get my citizenship after my 5 years on a GC. So I still want to remain a US resident and get my citizenship, but would like to be able to spend a few years outside of the USA.

Question is:

- Do I have to apply for advanced parole - if so, does this only give me two years?

- Does it make any difference if I work for a US company, can I continue my GC status and stay out longer than 2 yrs if I am working abroad for a US company?

- Is there any way to just take a job with any company outside the US and keep my GC and citizenship opportunity alive?

Thank you very much indeed for any help at all. I find myself at a crossroads and would really like to be able to know what my options are. thank you.

evcalyptos

ankors said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California.

I am currently living in WA, but received my GC in CAL. I have been on a GC for 3 yrs.

I would ideally like to spend a few years outside the USA working and living. I would like to be able to get my citizenship after my 5 years on a GC. So I still want to remain a US resident and get my citizenship, but would like to be able to spend a few years outside of the USA.

Question is:

- Do I have to apply for advanced parole - if so, does this only give me two years?

- Does it make any difference if I work for a US company, can I continue my GC status and stay out longer than 2 yrs if I am working abroad for a US company?

- Is there any way to just take a job with any company outside the US and keep my GC and citizenship opportunity alive?

Thank you very much indeed for any help at all. I find myself at a crossroads and would really like to be able to know what my options are. thank you.
Just wait until you get your citizenship. If you leave, you will be facing the burden of proof of maintaining the US as your permanent residence. You will also stop the clock for naturalization.

You really should see an attorny in person for this. Hopefully one that is very familiar with abandonment issues.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">