• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Keeping legal name separate from pseudonym

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nevertheless

I understand that by leaving blank the space asking for an author's (legal) name but indicating the author's pseudonym that the two names won't be linked and thus the correlation will not be made publicly available online or otherwise. That's what I understand.

I also understand that it is not wise to copyright solely under a pseudonym, as it can get rather tricky to prove that I (the legal 'I') am the author should any legal issue arise.

Now, if I were to use my legal name as the claimant do have my cake and eat it too, or are the terms 'claimant' and 'author' looked at as two separate things?

If my legal name is Bob Roberts and I leave blank the author name but say that the work is pseudonymous and use the name Bill Williams as the pseudonym, will my using Bob Roberts as claimant make it clear that my legal self is in fact the author?

quincy

I understand that by leaving blank the space asking for an author's (legal) name but indicating the author's pseudonym that the two names won't be linked and thus the correlation will not be made publicly available online or otherwise. That's what I understand.

I also understand that it is not wise to copyright solely under a pseudonym, as it can get rather tricky to prove that I (the legal 'I') am the author should any legal issue arise.

Now, if I were to use my legal name as the claimant do have my cake and eat it too, or are the terms 'claimant' and 'author' looked at as two separate things?

If my legal name is Bob Roberts and I leave blank the author name but say that the work is pseudonymous and use the name Bill Williams as the pseudonym, will my using Bob Roberts as claimant make it clear that my legal self is in fact the author?
What is it exactly that you wish to accomplish by registering your copyright under a pseudonym?

nevertheless

Hi, quincy. Thank you for your response.

I don't necessarily wish to copyright under a pseudonym. My goal is to keep the link between my legal name and my pseudonym out of public records.

quincy

Hi, quincy. Thank you for your response.

I don't necessarily wish to copyright under a pseudonym. My goal is to keep the link between my legal name and my pseudonym out of public records.
Depending on all facts, you potentially can lose years of copyright protection for your work by registering it anonymously or pseudonymously. A work registered under the author's real name is protected for the life of the author plus 70 years. For anonymous or pseudonymous works, the protection lasts 95 years from date of publication or 120 years from the date the work was created.

Here is a link to how to fill out an application:
https://www.copyright.gov/forms/formtx.pdf
And here is a link to information on registering with a pseudonym:
https://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl101.pdf
You will need to provide a name and legal address (not necessarily yours) for communication purposes, in the "claimant" section.

Last edited:

nevertheless

Depending on all facts, you potentially can lose years of copyright protection for your work by registering it anonymously or pseudonymously. A work registered under the author's real name is protected for the life of the author plus 70 years. For anonymous or pseudonymous works, the protection lasts 95 years from date of publication or 120 years from the date the work was created.

Here is a link to how to fill out an application:
https://www.copyright.gov/forms/formtx.pdf
You will need to provide a legal name and address (not necessarily yours) for communication purposes, in the "claimant" section.
Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">