• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Keys to condo

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kf04423

What is the name of your state? Nebraska

I bought a 9 year old condo in July from a couple who built the eight condos. The day of closing they said "they could not find any of the keys because of their move and could I wait till they got settled in their new place?" (They did give me a garage door opener.) Well, two months later and they haven't given the keys to me. The last excuse was because "they had a whole drawer of keys to the condos and they don't know which ones are mine". I know it seems minor, but there are three different locks to change and I don't think it's right they have keys to all the condos when they don't own any of them. Is there anything I can do?

bdancer

Check with a locksmith about re-keying the existing locks. It will probably be much cheaper than changing the locks. And I changed the locks on my house right after I puchased it even tho the former owners gave me keys. I didn't know who else had keys.

PghREA

My advice to all my Buyers is to change or re-key all the locks immediately after closing.

Are you telling us that you closed 2 months ago and have not had access to your condo. If no one had a working key, how was the property being shown?

HomeGuru

PghREA said:
My advice to all my Buyers is to change or re-key all the locks immediately after closing.

**A: great advice.

Are you telling us that you closed 2 months ago and have not had access to your condo. If no one had a working key, how was the property being shown?

**A: she came in through the bathroom window.

nextwife

Protected by a silver spoon
But now she sucks her thumb and wanders
By the banks of her own lagoon"

I believe they have been entering via the door between their individual garage and the unit. The remote gives them the "in". We do the same, I never use my house key.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">