• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Kicked down apartment door because deadbolt was broken

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Whoops2u

§ 42. Caretaker.
A manager, janitor, housekeeper, or other responsible person shall reside upon the premises and shall have charge of every apartment house in which there are 16 or more apartments, and of every hotel in which there are 12 or more guest rooms, in the event that the owner of an apartment house or hotel does not reside upon said premises. Only one caretaker would be required for all structures under one ownership and on one contiguous parcel of land. If the owner does not reside upon the premises of any apartment house in which there are more than four but less than 16 apartments, a notice stating the owner's name and address, or the name and address of the owner's agent in charge of the apartment house, shall be posted in a conspicuous place on the premises.
Note: Authority cited: Sections 17003.5, 17921, 50061.5 and 50559, Health and Safety Code. Reference: Sections 17910-17995, Health and Safety Code.

FarmerJ

When you speak to your landlord If it was me Id demand to know why maint could not call me back even if it was in the middle of the night , See if someone has a 24 hour number for maintenance then it is a reasonable expectation that the call would be answered Even if the one who answered were to have said `im not able do anything about it this late. Makes me wonder what maint would have done if it was a pipe with water spewing all over in the night- after hours?

Just Blue

When you speak to your landlord If it was me Id demand to know why maint could not call me back even if it was in the middle of the night , See if someone has a 24 hour number for maintenance then it is a reasonable expectation that the call would be answered Even if the one who answered were to have said `im not able do anything about it this late. Makes me wonder what maint would have done if it was a pipe with water spewing all over in the night- after hours?
One would hope that a tenant would have the brains to turn off the water valve. (That actually happened to me.)

Kicking down a door is an unreasonable and frankly bizarre action.

FarmerJ

At work I have worked with other staff who didn't know about shut off valves SO when a client tore the toilet off the floor at one home it took the staff a while to decide to shut the breaker to the well off. BUT if a leak in a multi unit is in a wall a tenant might not be able to turn it off and Maint still should have answered the phone if the number is listed as 24 hour contact.

Whoops2u

One would hope that a tenant would have the brains to turn off the water valve. (That actually happened to me.)

Kicking down a door is an unreasonable and frankly bizarre action.
You're not a landlord, are you? :p

There are few depths of human stupidity left unplumbed when one deals with a lot of tenants over years. Frankly, a guy kicking a door in because his key doesn't work is not something that blew my mind when I read it.

Just Blue

You're not a landlord, are you? :p

There are few depths of human stupidity left unplumbed when one deals with a lot of tenants over years. Frankly, a guy kicking a door in because his key doesn't work is not something that blew my mind when I read it.
No, I am not a LL. ;)

Lifelong tenant. I agree commonsense is, sadly, not all that common any more. If my key didn't work the very last thing I would do is kick down the door. It wouldn't even occur to me to do that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">