• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Kicked Out Of The Family

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Florida

I recently found out that I am no longer an executor of the joint estate of my Mother and Step-Father. They are both of sound mind and body. My sister and step-sister's husband are the two executors. There are no other siblings.

Do I have any rights to change this; and if so do I need an attorney or can I contact the attorney who set this whole thing up? I am also open to any other suggestions.

I knew I should've sent them an anniversary present.


Senior Member
The of executor is NOT what I'd worry about. Unstead worry about the status of beneficiary -- who gets the money rather than who handles the money.

It's not too late to be nicer.


According to Mom, I am a beneficiary for 25% of the estate. My sister is 25%, and step-sister is 50%. My step-father is running the show on this and is verbally and physically abusive to Mom (another issue for another board).

How do I go about verifying that I am in fact a beneficiary, as my step-father refuses to send me or my sister anything in writing?

Also, what's to stop my step-sister's husband (one of the executors) from just taking everything, since he's probably the only one who really knows account numbers and where everything is. All assets are in a trust, which means he may actually be a trustee.

This is why the cold , rain, and snow ain't half bad sometimes.
Last edited:

Dandy Don

Senior Member
You have the right to request a copy of the trust by sending a certified letter to the trustee. However, it usually takes 1-2 months to settle the affairs of the trust, so you should wait awhile before doing this in order to give the trustee time to take care of estate affairs.

In view of the bad relations here, you may want to seriously consider getting an attorney to write this letter for you using his letterhead, so the trustee will take your request more seriously and be more motivated to respond. It would also be helpful for you to have an attorney available for advice/consultation on any questions you have regarding any problems or special situations that might come up while this estate is being probated.

If you don't already have a copy of the will, check at the courthouse to see if it has been filed and get a copy there. Most of the important assets will probably be put into the trust, so that is where you will probably benefit most, but you still need to know if you are a beneficiary of the will also.

DANDY DON ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential