• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Kicked out of the house with temporary protective order?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cricketbell

Kicked out of the house with an order of protection?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ID
My father purchased a farm a few years back and put his girlfriends name on it. They broke up and she moved out with all her belongings 5 months ago.
Last week she contacted her attorney and told him my father abandoned the property. Which isn't true. The attorneys talked and nothing came of that claim.
This week my father took her bill for her truck that came in the mail (his name is on the loan she has the truck) and placed it under her wind sheild wiper on his way to work.
She called the police.
The police called my father and told him to take it to the attorney from now on.
She then filed a protective order against my father (false accusations), and listed HIS residents as one of the places that she would be.
The court granted her the order of protection.
My sister went to the property to get items from the house (since my father wasn't served at his house he doesn't have anything), the police told her that the girlfriend has every right to break into the property because her name is on the title.

Since when can the police department give legal advice?
How can she claim his residence as a place she would be when she hasn't lived there in 5 months?

Last edited:

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ID
My father purchased a farm a few years back and put his girlfriends name on it. They broke up and she moved out with all her belongings 5 months ago.
Last week she contacted her attorney and told him my father abandoned the property. Which isn't true. The attorneys talked and nothing came of that claim.
This week my father took her bill for her truck that came in the mail (his name is on the loan she has the truck) and placed it under her wind sheild wiper on his way to work.
She called the police.
The police called my father and told him to take it to the attorney from now on.
She then filed a protective order against my father (false accusations), and listed HIS residents as one of the places that she would be.
The court granted her the order of protection.
My sister went to the property to get items from the house (since my father wasn't served at his house he doesn't have anything), the police told her that the girlfriend has every right to break into the property because her name is on the title.

Since when can the police department give legal advice?
How can she claim his residence as a place she would be when she hasn't lived there in 5 months?
The police are not giving advice .

They are following the law .

The Law states that she has some ownership in the property via the title .

She's allowed entry anyway she sees fit .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">